Keywords:Modern Movement, Modern architecture, Modern housing
The La Tourette Convent, built by Le Corbusier in Eveux (1953–1960) was subjected to interventions very soon after its inauguration. The article presents a critical analysis of these interventions: those overseen by Fernand Gardien (until 1964) right after completion; those undertaken before the complex was listed and for which limited documentation is available (1964–1979); the restoration campaign led by the Architecte en Chef des Monuments Historiques (ACMH) Mortamet, who followed an approach based on the completion of Le Corbusier’s work; lastly the most recent campaign, overseen by the ACMH Repellin, who succeeded in devising intelligent alternative compliance measures thanks to the fire safety officials. The complex was returned to its original appearance, following an approach that has yet to come to terms with the aging of modern architectural works, but is nevertheless still widely used today in the conservation of 20th century architecture.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Roberta Grignolo
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Archives de la Direction Régionale des Affaires Culturelles, Lyon(DRAC).
Archives de la Fondation Le Corbusier, Paris (FLC).
Archives Départementales du Rhône, Lyon (ADR).
Archives du Couvent de La Tourette, Eveux (ACT).
BOESIGER, Willy, Le Corbusier et Son Atelier Rue de Sèvres 35, OEuvre Complète 1957–1965, Zurich , Girsberger, 1965.
FERRO, Sergio; KEBBAL, Chérif; POTIÉ, Philippe; SIMONNET, Cyrille, Le Corbusier, Le Couvent de La Tourette, Marseille, Editions Parenthèses, 1987.
Médiathèque du Patrimoine, Paris (MP).
PETIT, Jean, Un Couvent de Le Corbusier, Paris, Les Editions de Minuit, 1961.
POTIÉ, Philippe Le Corbusier: Le Couvent Sainte Marie de La Tourette/The Monastery of Sainte Marie de La Tourette, Basel, Birkhäuser, 2001.
REPELLIN, Didier, “La restauration du Couvent Sainte-Marie de La Tourette, Éveux, Rhône-Alpes. Le chantier de restauration”, Monumental, 2013, Semester II, p. 100–102.