Keywords:Modern Movement, Modern architecture, Modern housing
In 2011, the Fondation Le Corbusier took the fortunate initiative of requesting a historical study prior to the restoration of the villa Le Lac, built in 1924 at Corseaux-sous-Vevey in Switzerland. Submitted in 2012, the study sought to provide objective and factual information about the construction and physical evolution of the building, by exposing the initial intentions of the architect and his wishes, fulfilled or not, for its transformation, restoration or improvement, through research in several archives (Fondation Le Corbusier, Communal Archives of Corseaux and Vevey, G.T.A. in Zurich, Cantonal Archives…). The Corbusean archives, as well as the local archives and several periodicals and reviews of the period, both French and foreign, were combed. The research, based mainly on primary sources, was completed by reading the writings of the architect, his contemporaries and historians. Having been carried out prior to the material analysis of the building, the study revealed a series of new features of the house and its environs, including the garden. Thanks to an analysis of the numerous documents mentioned above, an attempt to put photographs of this evolving building in chronological order was carried out with Bénédicte Gandini. This article seeks to examine one of these new features. A feature of fundamental importance as it calls into question a well-anchored myth and is connected to recent discoveries made during restoration works on Corbusean villas of the 1920s.