The Campus of the University of Brasilia

Authors

  • Andrey Rosenthal Schlee

Downloads

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.52200/43.A.BZRPNMNN

Keywords:

Modern Movement, Modern architecture, Modern housing

Abstract

The Pilot Plan of the new Brazilian Federal Capital, by Lúcio Costa, was selected in a public competition held in 1957. The city was inaugurated barely three years later by President Juscelino Kubitschek, in April 1960, when the official creation of the University of Brasilia became a reality. Preparing to celebrate fifty years of existence, the University campus probably represents the most accomplished set of Brutalist architecture in the country and an excellent sample of the inventive resources of Brazilian architects. A functionalist city inside another. They are distinct from each other, but both dignified and worthy of documentation and preservation actions.

How to Cite

Schlee, A. R. (2010). The Campus of the University of Brasilia. Docomomo Journal, (43), 44–47. https://doi.org/10.52200/43.A.BZRPNMNN

Published

2010-11-01

Issue

Section

Essays